Bingo has been a much-loved recreational pastime across the world for centuries. It originated in Italy in the 16th century and was played as their national lotto.
History is a little hazy when it comes to the transition from medieval to modern day Bingo, but the first time it popped up again was in 1920, where it was recorded as being a popular game played at fairs and festivals.
Despite its simplicity, Bingo still managed to keep players engaged and excited due to it’s unpredictability, and the great prizes on offer. Its straightforward rules made it appealing to a wide audience, and its popularity continued to grow all through the 19th century.
A Decline in Bingo’s Popularity
Fast forward to 2005 and Bingo’s popularity had begun to wane, with a substantial drop in the number of brick and mortar Bingo halls in existence across the world. With sites like Jackpot City NZ offering so many other great games, the appeal of land based bingo games simply fell a bit flat.
Bingo Goes Digital
When the internet became mainstream however, Bingo operators realized that they had at their disposal a massive, previously untapped audience, and they set about to bring the much-loved game into the digital realm. Since then, Bingo has not looked back and the number of online Bingo sites is increasing all the time
Some Reasons Why Online Bingo is Boss
- Online bingo means you can play your favourite Bingo games wherever you like. Instead of having to travel to your nearest brick and mortar Bingo venue, you can play at home on your PC or in a queue at the bank on your mobile. The accessibility of online Bingo also means you aren’t bound by time constraints as you can play all evening on the couch with a glass of wine, or snatch a couple of games on the go.
- Online Bingo sites offer games that can be played instantly. There is no need to download software onto your computer’s hard drive.
- Strangely enough, online Bingo offers a greater social aspect than live Bingo does, and you don’t have to worry about conforming to a dress code In live Bingo, players tend to be quiet – with their focus and concentration on the cards rather than their neighbours. This is not to say that a live Bingo venue does not have a friendly and relaxed atmosphere, but players do not tend to communicate with one another during games as they may miss a number if they loose concentration on their cards.
In online Bingo, there is the option of the computer marking off your numbers for you, as well as announcing your wins, and although this may take some of the skill out of the game, it allows players to break focus on the game and spend time communicating on the various chat rooms that online Bingo sites offer. Players are able to socialize albeit digitally, and play the game simultaneously.
- Online Bingo sites are renown for their great bonuses and promotions. Some sites may offer slightly different bonuses to others, but across the board, there are always some fantastic options and giveaways that the sites use to entice new players as well as reward loyal customers.
- Online Bingo is cost effective, in that it is the most reasonable of all games available online. Most times, a game will cost you just pennies, so players are able to play multiple times without worrying about overspending.